Monday, February 2, 2015

Don't give up on a goal because of the time it will take, time passes anyway...

January 2015 is just a memory...are you happy with how the new year is going? Where do you stand with your goals?

I find it better to set small monthly goals rather than overall year goals at the start of the year.  Breaking things into smaller portions makes you more likely to meet the challenges and remember it takes 21 days to build a routine!

January brought my new coach into my life which has started the path of consistent post foot saga workouts.  I had my last round of biopuncture and have now started to see some promising results with the foot during swim and cycle work outs. The alter G has let me do some runs at up to 90% of my body weight and I wait to hear tomorrow that I can run on a regular treadmill. Progress is slow but consistent at least.

Recently I saw that some people were giving the year a word, sort of defining how they plan to look at the year. I have chosen patience because I believe it not only stands for my training but also my personal life. The title of this blog is a quote that has been on my mind a lot over the past years as I struggled with setting on a new path. The time will pass anyway, don't spend so much of your day looking so far into the future, live in the now where time is currently passing. Don't put something off because it requires too much effort or time because that time will pass anyway and you won't have an accomplishment to show.

It feels great to be getting to a point of "real" training and I can't wait, oh wait yes I can be patient to see the gains from training come slowly over the next months leading up to Big Sur which is my first race of the year. Sometimes we get so caught up in the future we don't enjoy the now enough and I'm going to try and be better. Racing tends to lead us to always look ahead to the next race but we need to recognize each work out and what it means to building us into athletes.

I set up nutrition tracking much to my chagrin but I wanted to at least track calories to make sure my training is fueled properly. I have started cooking my weekly meals again to make sure I'm not spending a lot of money to eat unhealthy food at lunch.

Here's to patience and my second word for the year, happiness. Patience with myself will lead to complete happiness.  Patience with training and not rushing into things will make sure that my foot is fully healed.  A wise man told me "in the scheme of 8 months, 2 weeks is a drop in the bucket".

What word describes your year?  How can you set small goals to make that word a reality?

January Totals:
Swim: 9,801 meters
Bike: 43.46 miles
Run (AlterG): 7.16 miles
Total Miles: 56.71 (if my math is correct)
Total Workouts: 28

No comments:

Post a Comment